Employees come from different socio-economic and geographic environments. They may have different state of minds. Sometimes, it is really hard to find like minded coworkers at the office. This often results in conflicts and sometimes it may get really ugly. There are times when you just can’t seem to get along with others in the office. It can be a duty to unfortunate situations or something else. Also, you may be on the other side and think that a specific coworker is not being able to get along. There are many reasons why there can be conflicts in the workplace; misunderstanding or poor communication, clashing of priorities and personal differences are some of the most common reasons why this can happen. However, it is not the reason you should be focusing on. You should look to resolve the conflicts that happen amongst coworkers.
Simple ways to resolve coworker conflicts
- Bring everyone together. Those who are involved in the conflict should be inside the same room to talk things out and narrate their perspectives openly.
- Allow everyone to speak about the conflict. This is very important. It the best way to find out the point of conflict. Also, you get to understand the views of the people involved in the conflict.
- Everyone will get their chance to speak and no one should defend another. Make it a thumb rule that when someone is speaking about the conflict, no one else interrupts or crosses the speaker.
- Best Solution to be given to the conflict. If you think it is something the employees would be able to sort out on their own, try and have a voting system. Get it done in that room itself so that there is no bad blood outside.
- Pacify everyone after the solution is accepted. Make everyone understand that it is not always possible to be on the same page like everyone else. That does not mean there has to be a conflict every single time. So, whenever there is a potential conflict next time, everyone would get together and sort the problem out together.
Managers always try to create a good working environment all the time. However, there are times when things go out of hand. Instead of blaming each other and getting hostile, you can follow the above tips to keep everyone calm and get to a definite solution in the quickest of time.